Saturday 26 February 2011

Losing Weight instead of Using Diets

Imagine this, shortly after Christmas last year, after hearing from friends and family about their New Year’s resolution to lose weight and eat healthily. I was sat at my Gran’s house discussing how I am a Bournemouth, Dorset Hypnotherapist and discussing the year ahead.

During one conversation I noticed that there was a newspaper of her choice upon the kitchen table, I took a double take at the image the front page of the newspaper, portraying the youngest obese girl in the country. I was intrigued, I was engrossed in what I read, I wanted to read more about this young girl right now. As I had read more the article said that the once acclaimed largest young girl in the country had lost a lot of weight, and I mean a lot of weight. I heard myself say, “good for her, she has begun to change her eating habits, her life and now taking the right pathway for her. I wondered how she had made all of these adjustments which had enabled her to lose the weight.

Further down the article said that she had been dieting for a good few months and she had lost her weight. One thing that I have found interesting is the term “dieting”. How many times have you heard someone say to you, “oh I’ve been on a diet, lost loads of weight, but now I’ve put it all back on again”? or what about, “I seem to eat really healthily but I just hit an imaginary wall and go back to my old habits”? 

Dieting shouts out that you are consciously trying to go against your eating habits, and by consciously doing something are will just keep trying, until you change the habits that you have. You may change or lose weight temporarily through diets however as soon as you stop dieting you go back to your old eating habits.
Going back to the largest girl in the country, I’m not saying that she will go back to her usual size and shape, she could stay or continue to make even more changes with her body, however if the cause of the weight increases are left and not changed, then there is a higher risk of the weight increasing again. Weight reduction is about what is going on in your unconscious mind.

A blue print has been made, or even a software that has been programmed in to the deepest parts of your mind to allow you to think and behave in many different ways. Just like in computers, if a problem arises a warning message comes up saying that support is required, the brain does something very similar with our behaviour, however with us we don’t have the error message popping up. J

Our blue print of ourselves is termed as our beliefs.

I was watching the sports news channel a short time ago, looking through the scores of the football, however being an avid cricket fan I wanted to find out the score of the England and West Indies game. Flicking through I came across an interview that Sky had with the England batsman, Ian Bell. Ian was speaking about his recent batting achievements with England and his test place batting at number 3 in the team. Sky had shown him playing some amazing games and when batting, looking very good, however he wasn’t achieving his full potential with the bat. The cricket selection committee had been saying to him that if he could change and increase his scores he would be eligible for selection, however in the mean time Ravi Bopara would be taking his place at number 3 batsman. Ian Bell was speaking about the team, about the forthcoming summer and how he looked forward to “enjoying his cricket again”. When he said this I asked myself and actually said to the TV, “what do you mean by that, how come you are not enjoying it now”? Ian spoke as though his international game had gone somewhere, I wasn’t sure where it had gone, and I don’t think he did either. Even though Ian Bell has scored a career best of 262 runs not out for Warwickshire and 199 runs for England against South Africa, he says he wasn’t enjoying his cricket, how does that figure? He has played some of his best cricket, however due to a few games with some scores not getting to the same high standard as those other games; he says he isn’t enjoying his cricket.

 So as a result of this mind set his game became un-enjoyable.

Isn’t it amazing how the brain works, our beliefs about ourselves can limit us?

Usually we base our beliefs around experience. When Ian’s beliefs about himself were high, he had great results. When his beliefs about his game became lower than usual, his game would follow suit. So now not only are our beliefs the result of experience, experiences are the result of our beliefs.

I have used this example to show how powerful the mind can be, how it can limit us, behave and act in certain ways to help us. However, most importantly we can use our mind to obtain the dreams that you want so much, and in this instance, lose the weight you want to, achieve your ideal body shape, feel more and more confident so that the emotions radiate out from deep within and not forgetting, wear the size clothes that are right for.

Hypnosis can help you with this amongst many other things. If you would like to find out more how hypnosis and coaching can help you, please do contact me now to find out when you can start to lose the weight and make this New Year the beginning of many amazing to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment